Friday, March 19, 2010

White Girl

You may notice the long break between entries. Part of this was due to a vacation, but in part, I was mulling over a comment, unready to respond. You see, an activist friend whom I greatly respect recently said that she stopped calling herself a feminist when she realized that the term was mostly used by white academics. I've wanted to fully respond for a long while, but was left at a loss for words.

My first response to this was to feel indignant that someone would eschew the feminist moniker. I mean, come on. Half of the population has been getting the short end of the stick for how long? How could you not identify with the desire for equally for all genders?

It's time for a disclaimer: I'm white. My partner is a man. My circumstance growing up might not be described as “well off”, but I was fortunate enough to win a scholarship that allowed me to attend college. I seem to be a walking feminist stereotype. Perhaps I should question my initial bristling.

An oft-leveled criticism is that feminism is a movement for middle-class white women by middle-class white women. Some might add “straight”, though I would argue that the feminist and LGBTQI movements have a tentative alliance. There are many famous feminists that don't fit the bill: bell hooks, Dorothy Allison and Angela Davis come to mind immediately. Still, when I think of all the folks I know personally who embrace the term feminist, I can't help but notice how white, middle-class and well-educated they are.

Certain circumstances may compound gender discrimination or trump it altogether. I certainly can't claim to know what it is like to experience violence or hatred based on the color of my skin. I am lucky enough to live in a well-to-do country, have never known starvation or civil war. My world is very insular and I am well aware of it. I have always had difficulty finding a common “sisterhood” even within Western culture, let alone the world. However, I do believe that certain feminist issues- like equal pay or an end to domestic violence- will benefit a lot of folks. Perhaps because feminism could potentially help so many, its definition has been broadened to encompass countless points of view. Does this dilute the meaning? Probably. Does it mean that anyone- male or female, gay or straight, black or white- can embrace this term? Absolutely.

With so many allies to choose from, why is feminism so popular among white academics? Maybe because we have more time and resources- luxuries needed to lobby for change. I really have no idea. But now, longtime coming, the point:

So what?

So what if I'm a white woman? Is my viewpoint null and void? No. I don't claim to speak for every woman. No movement has ever successfully spoken for all of those that it seeks to benefit.

So what if I'm fighting for my own equality? Should I step aside and stop being such a whiner? A resounding no. Some have it better than others, but that doesn't mean they should become complacent.

So what if feminist isn't a perfect term? Should it be abandoned or replaced? Of course not. All that it has come to mean and all past struggles should not be forgotten. And how exactly will people of a different bent come to embrace the term if we don't keep it and all it stands for?

I will continue to call myself a feminist, and you should, too. Even if you're not a white academic.

No comments:

Post a Comment